Saturday, August 30, 2008

Work-Related Food Hate

For a bit of back-ground: I work in a movie theater that serves food, beer, and wine. Accordingly, we have a small, not very impressive wine list.

Now, I'm not here to defend our wine list. I know nothing about wine. If you ask me how the (whatever red wine) is -- I will tell you it has good body with notes of cherry and plum, and if you ask me about the (whatever white wine) I'll tell you it has a nice nose with notes of apple and pear. That's my standard line and it freely reflects my ignorance.

But the beer. That is a different story. We have a small, but mostly decent selection of beer, and I know something about them.

That said; I am ASTOUNDED how often some one will quiz me or a co-worker about the Merlot or the Chardonnay or the Shiraz or, or, or. Taste two or three...then buy a pint of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

WTF?

They pass over everything on the wine list, and everything good on the tap line to buy the cheapest, most watery, least beer-tasting-beer we sell.

Any thoughts on this one?

4 comments:

Bianca James said...

Cheapwads scamming you for freebies?

Seymore Sinn said...

I don't think so. They don't usually finish the samples. Maybe they have an alcohol analogue of "battered-woman syndrome" where they think they can't do any better than PBR.

missa said...

Maybe they just end up deciding it's not worth drinking anything better than PBR at the movies? (Or they remember what they paid for the movie ticket and decide they'd better get the cheapest shit.)

If the PBR isn't any cheaper than other stuff, though, I'm mystified as well…

The Snarky Nutritionist said...

Maybe they prefer the familiar comfort of PBR? I'm trying to remember the technical name for this, "customer loyalty beyond reason?" What the brand symbolizes is more important than quality or how good it tastes.